Friday, March 4, 2011

New Spidey Movie Has A Title: The Amazing Spider-Man

Scheduled for a Summer, 2012 release, the upcoming Spider-Man reboot now has a title: The Amazing Spider-Man. My thoughts:

- I love the new title
- I'm still unsure how I feel about a reboot so soon after Sam Raimi's Spidey movies
- My geekness is confused by the title not jibing with the rumor that the story is going to be based on the Ultimate Spider-Man series
- Gwen Stacy will be in it, but will she die confusingly as per the Amazing Spider-Man Issue #121 or will she meet her doom as per the Ultimate series? Or will they save that for a sequel?

Anyway, here's the original picture the studio released to showcase Spidey's new costume.  [As always, click to embiggen the pictures - some of these are pretty high res.]

There's been a lot of chatter online regarding what looks to be wrist mounted web shooters.  In the comics, due to Peter Parker's high intelligence and aptitude for science, he constructed mechanical web shooters; however, in the most recent movies, part of his genesis as Spider-Man included webs that shot directly out of his body organically.  This change never bothered me.  Spider-Man 2099 (of which I was a big fan) was able to shoot organic/natural webs from his wrists (he also had those little barbs on his fingertips that they borrowed for the movies whereas Peter Parker never had them) as a part of his "mutation" and it kind of makes sense since he is Spider-Man and all (yeah, I know it would make more sense for it to shoot out of his ass, but that would make for a very strange, yet awesome, movie).  Here are some close ups of the wrists on the photo above:
Well, to put this to rest: yes!  The new Spider-Man costume will have mechanical web shooters.  Check out the most recent pic released by the studios this week.
I have to admit that I absolutely love this costume now that I see it in an action pose.  It's like a cross between the traditional red/blue and Spider-Man 2099 (see below)


Here's to hoping it doesn't completely suck.

1 comment:

  1. Here's to hoping they don't disappoint me yet again.

    Not saying I'm the authority on Spider-Man, but dammit - I'm a purist. I want the original story on film in a non-shitacular format.

    ReplyDelete